Pages

16 November 2016

Crimson Fists Grav-Devastators

Preparations for the Adepticon 2017 Team Tournament is well underway. We're all making some adjustments to the lists we brought back in 2015, so there's a few new units that needs paint. I built, primed and basecoated a lot of models during the summer, so 'all' I have to do is to select the models I need and finish them. ;) ...even if it does take a while at the rather slow pace I'm keeping these days.


Over the last few weeks, I've been working on a Devastator squad with Grav Cannons. They may not be the most efficient platform for this particular heavy weapon, but there are ways around their shortcomings - and I think they look cool.


Looking at the pictures now, I'm less and less happy with how the attempted glow effect on the cannons themselves came out. It looks OK from a few feet off, but up close it just looks messy... I'll have to do a little research and figure something out before getting get back to them.


J

3 comments:

  1. I see what you mean. Lovely models with that nice subtle highlighting, and the cannons look nicer when the pictures are not zoomed in on them. Always very frustrating - I bet you spent some time on them. Maybe a more subtle glowing is a solution. But how is for Google to find out. I'm scratching my head.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all Jørn, I think you have done a good job. Over all a strong unit that looks good.
    As fore some constructive feedback: Your eye lenses show some ”bleed”. I also agree with you (and Linus) that the glow effect looks a little messy up close, and knowing you, that is not acceptable. I have painted 3 gravguns (my Ultramarines bike unit), and struggled with the same issue. Not completely happy, but what I ended up with was “less is more”; hence I focused on the deepest recesses and some selected areas. This I see also is the approach on GW´s standard paint scheme. After you have finished your research, I am sure you will find a way ☺

    Cheers,
    Ørnulv

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm... After looking at pictures elsewhere, I think see what I've done 'wrong'.

    Should be easy enough to fix now, that I'll do it before I start on the third Tactical Squad. (Update by the end of the week, then.)

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment...
Your feedback fuels our passion! ;)