Pages

4 March 2012

ØRNULVS BATRAP SUMMARY JANUARY – FEBRUARY 2012

New years resolutions


One of my New years resolutions was to play at least one game every two weeks. As it turned out, by the end of January I had played – 0 – zero! Building and painting as a mad man, I finally decided to take a break and start to play again.


First out was a game against Necrons (Per). My beloved Ultramarines scored 2 – 1. Then a rather silly/funny game against Jørn where I substituted my Terminators with Honour Guard, Callgar himself etc because I had left parts of my army at home. I "had to" concede… Then we went on playing a more serious game, fielding one of my standard lists. Again the Ultramarines managed a win, 7 – 4 (this was actually a much closer game than the points tally would indicate). All of these games are covered in previously published battle reports.


Next up was a battle against Dark Eldar.


Ultramarines (Ørnulv) vs Dark Eldar (André) 1750p

Capture and Control – Spearhead


I of course enjoy playing with and against André, however this battle, or should I say “Mission”, loses its “tension” and is very predictable if both armies “castle” around its own objective (main strategy).

The Dark Eldar force did exactly that, so also the Ultramarines. Andre deployed all of his army safely in cover behind the largest building in his deployment zone (on top of his objective).

In the opposite corner the Ultramarines deployed its gun line, the tanks taking cover as best they could.

During round 1 – 3 parts of The Dark Eldar Army advanced towards the Ultramarines using ruins as cover on two flanks. The main force guarded the “home objective” adjusting its positions in order to give support fire. The Venoms and Dark Lances managed to destroy a Razorback and annihilate a Devastator Squad. But the advance was not an all out assault, resulting in that the Ultramarines Razor spam list, supported by the 3 Devastator Squads, shot down every Raider/Venom/Ravagers in the Dark Eldar army. The Dark Eldar retreated and surrounded its “home objective”.


During round 4 – 6 the Ultramarines started its advance towards the Dark Eldar objective. This had been the plan all along. Use the gun line to strip the Dark Eldar of its manoeuvrability and most important of all – to “ground” the 2 units of Incubus. However, when both the Rhino and Razorbacks that was to spearhead the advance got “stuck” in difficult terrain the assault was no real threat to the Dark Eldar "defence force". With Lords, Incubus and a potent number of warriors guarding the objective, the handful of Ultramarines that would have gotten close had there been a round 7 where gunned down. If only 2 Razorbacks and the Rhino could have tank shocked in turn 6, and assault in a possible round 7 – if only….

We kept our spirit up, but decided next time to include kill points to this so often – tie scenario!


Result: Ultramarines 1 – Dark Eldar 1 – Draw


Next up it was time to meat Trond´s Craft world Eldar.


Ultramarines (Ørnulv) vs Biel Tan (Trond) 1750p

Seize Ground – Pitched Battle 4 objectives (one in each table quarter)


Eldar went first. This time it would be the Razor spam army that would meet a “gun line army”. And as always, when the elves do something, they are good at it!

Not much to write home about (for the Ultramarines part anyway). This Eldar army excels against small units and tanks with low armour value. Volley after volley of S6 shots picked the Ultramarines army apart, one unit at the time. And with yet again bad dice rolls (I hate dice, could I not at least manage to roll avarage?) the shots found it’s pray.

In round 4 the remaining Ultramarines started to advance against two of the objectives hoping for a draw. Unfortunately they where to few, and the Eldar general showed just how good he is at finishing of the opponent when he has turned the game to his favour making the enemy fight on his terms.

Did I say finish off? Oh no – Three brave Ultramarines defied the Eldar! More of us will be coming witch, this planet will be ours! Next time Trond, next time…


Result: Ultramarines 0 – Craft world Eldar 3


SUMMARY


After having played zero games at the end of January, I have managed to put in 4 (5) games during February, having played enough games towards my goal for 2012 (january and february). 2 Victories, 1 Draw and 1 Loss (2 if my funny army battle is included). Good games and a nice start to the gaming year of 2012. I guess this tally will go up once my Dark Eldar army is finished. The battle bunker is ready guys!






2 comments:

  1. Well you summed it up. I have to admitt I was not looking forward facing a razor spam list with 3 devestator sqds with 12 missile launchers. My vypers and warwalkers can`t take that much fireprower. So I was very happy to get first turn and oblitirate 2 devestator sqds before they could retaliate. I have to agree that your dice rolls where below average and mine average+ So next time I can`t expect to do this well..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to see you're getting out for bit!
    It's been all paint and (almost) no play from your end for a while now.

    Nice to see that Trond can roll on average every once in a while too, and even nicer that it didn't have to happen while he was playing me. :P

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment...
Your feedback fuels our passion! ;)