While waiting for my last order from MS, I found that this Sunday (after a long walk) was the day I would face up to the task of painting squad markings on my Ultramarines.
This is no easy task! I remember Jørn telling me how he struggled with the shoulder pads for his Word Bearers (hand painted flames with skulls, that looks awesome). Jørn sent me pictures from the 2. Edition of the Space Marines Codex (thx Jørn), showing how it was suppose to look. The only problem is that the proportions in the artgallery do NOT mach with real life decals! I would have to improvise.
My first go was the Tactical Squads. I made a decision (after looking at various roman design examples), to use bars. Anyway, this is how they turned out (only showing Sgt for example):
(The Sgt of 2. Squad have a shoulder pad with motive)
Then I started working on the Terminators. I decided on dividing them into three squads (because of weaponry). Ordinary Terminators in squad 1 and 2 and Assault Terminators in Squad 3. It was no way I could hand paint the numbers inside the Chapter design, so I had to improvise, keeping faithful to the numbers being yellow.
Nightmare! The centre of the Fast Attack marking and the top of the Devastator marking are small areas I found very difficult to apply the numbers on. Anyway, after several hours and remakes, this is how they turned out.
After "painting" over 150 models, I now look forward to building supplement models.