Back in 2010 I finished my Warhound Scout Titan – ore did I…? Her is a link to the original post: http://teamstormbolter.blogspot.no/2010/11/ultramarines-2-reinforced.html
I recon the readers of this blog have noticed that I have spent this autumn and winter giving the whole of my Ultramarines army a makeover. Adding wear and tare (battle fatigue/damage), changing the hue of the models and adding new bases, where amongst the most notable changes. After working on lots of infantry models and tanks I needed a change, hence it was time to address my Warhound Scout Titan.
Although the Titans are not a “member” of a specific chapter, my Titan will certainly be fielded alongside my Ultramarines. So I thought it only fitting to keep the makeover in style with my Ultramarines.
But this project was more than a mere makeover! My original design/posing had a fault; the base chosen was not heavy ore large enough to support the weight of the model because of the "tilt" I had chosen in order to make it look like the Titan was taking a step forward. The whole model became unstable. Also - this was before the era of magnets - risking the upper body falling of....Not good!
One evening I visited Jørn for morale support while I “gently tore" the model of the old base. Puh, only two “toes” broke! Jørn had supplied me with a new base (thx); the problem was the angel the legs where positioned in, limeting my options to make an ok scenic base. After a lot of test fitting with the larger terrain features, I screwed right through the base and into two quite large holes I had drilled beneath the feet. The racin did not crack. It was time to make the scenic base trying to cover the original design faults.Base after applying my standard concrete/plaster/sand goup mix and sand.
Masking the model before base coting with black spray paint.
A comment to my original post was a question if I should not make the plasma coils stand more out(?) A good idea. Now, how to apply the effect? This is how it looked before the makeover.
The plasma coils after the makeover:
So this is how the model turned out after the base was finished and the model was weathered and given several washes with different MIG products (and lots of varnish):
In order to support the “body section” I drilled a large hole in centre of the top leg section and the upper body, fixing a thick steel rod to the leg section. I also used an industrial magnet (with a centre hole) witch holds 2,5kg. The model is now level and holds steady!
The interior was given a slight upgrade as well. “In the grim darkness of the fare future…”
Close up of the base (hope I managed to get almost the same colour as Jørn has got on his Aquila Lander mounted on he’s Chaos Warhound Scout Titan base…)
There is a funny little guy with some strange tools and a trolley waiting!