27 October 2013

Ultramarines Makeover part 8 – Dreadnoughts

2 kommentarer
A 3-model makeover!

I really looked forward to se how these guys turned out. I love Dreadnoughts. Even if they supposedly are not as good in 6th edition as before, they bring so much “Space Marines feel-good” every time I use them.

I have magnetized several different weapon arms, and only a portion is shown here. Anyway, I thought I should include a “before” picture so that the “makeover” is better presented:



Next, Rhinos and Razorbacks.

Cheers,
Ørnulv

23 October 2013

Ultramarines Makeover part 7 – Terminators

6 kommentarer
A 30-model makeover!

This is the last "large batch" of infantry models for a while (and it feels so good…).

I still have to give "Calgar and his honour guard” and 12 Vanguard Veterans (all old style – metal models) a makeover, but in order to finish the units I will use during day to day gaming - it is time to move on.

I have decided to finish the rest of the army before I treat myself to finish new units (a kind of self-motivation bump going on here). My goal is to finish “everything” by the end of November.

During a recent trip to GW in Berlin I noticed how striking “power weapons” could turn out on Terminators, so I decided to try it out. Ok, first out - 15 Assault Terminators:
 














Next, my 15 "good old" standard Terminators:
























Next update - Dreadnoughts.



Cheers,

Ørnulv

16 October 2013

Chaos Warhound Titan - Interior

2 kommentarer
Last time I wrote about my Chaos Warhound Titan was back in February this year, after my last birthday party, a year after the birthday party when rest of TSB had got it for me. The project stalled after that update, partly because of the close to one hundred separate resin pieces that went into the construction of the legs.

A couple of weeks ago though, as I was preparing for a planned 40K-hobby-marathon session at my place, I dug the titan back out of it's box and started priming it. When Ørn arrived on Saturday morning I was ready to start painting the interior details.

Quite a lot was accomplished over the next twelve hours, and I've gotten even more done over the two weeks since.


It quickly became apparent that I would have to paint first and assemble later for there to be a point in even attempting to do the interior details justice. The narrative that can be found in these parts of the Warhound are amazing. I started with a base coat of Army Painter's Skeleton Bone spray primer, and followed that with lots of thinned down coats of the various base colours. A few coats of black, ochre and green oil washes went into the crisp details as well.


Final assembly went pretty smoothly too. I've read a few accounts of people struggling with large gaps and warped parts, so I made sure to test and retest assembly from the first time I washed the components and throughout the entire process. Still... I managed to break off a bit of resin in a moment of inattention, but I don't think anyone will be able to spot it now that it's finished.


And there we are! Only the exterior left to do.
I still haven't quite decided on which Titan Legion to represent, though, so I need to do a little more research into that...

13 October 2013

Ultramarines Makeover part 6 – Scouts

3 kommentarer

A 10-model makeover!

I needed a “break” from large batches of models (required by an army wide makeover), so I decided to finish my two (small) units of “Scouts”.

Actually, from a gaming point of view, the Scouts are pretty good. Personally, I have never used them much, but now - as an outflank unit, ore Object holder in once own deployment area (especially with “Bolster defence” and Cameo clocks and Sniper Rifles”), I definitely consider them as units for me to explore alongside 3 “Thunder Fire Canons”. Enough about that, I did not only "rebase and repainted the armour of these guys", the “white” areas was repainting (using desert-white colours), and I also repainted the Cameo Cloaks in order to theme them in with my new desert (Kalth) scheme. This is how they turned out:



Next- terminators!

Cheers,
Ørnulv

10 October 2013

Ultramarines Makeover part 5 – Tactical Sgt and HQ

4 kommentarer

A 15-model makeover.


In order to “get cracking” on the gaming table I have finished some “HQ models”:
 

When finishing my Tactical Squads I only did the “ordinary” Sgt (chainsaw/bolter variant). It was time to finish the rest of them:

The final group in this batch, Company Standard Bearer, Apothecary and Champion.
 
Next, Scouts. 

Cheers,
Ørnulv

7 October 2013

Ultramarines makeover part 4 – devastator Squads

7 kommentarer

A 24 Model makeover.

This weekend I managed to finish my 2 Devastator Squads. They underwent the same treatment as my 2 Assault Squads and 6 Tactical Squads. This is how they turned out:



 
I am now looking forward to finish the various Sergeants (different builds), my Scouts and some of the Characters I tend to use frequently, so that I can move on to the 1st  Company.

I must admit that I am starting to feel the strain from doing this “make over”, so I am looking forward to be able to move on to models without bases….

Cheers,
Ørnulv