21 July 2013

Daemons of Nurgle (Bad Omen II)

3 kommentarer
With most of us in full swing with the summer vacation, it's not likely that the traffic here will pick up again just yet. I am back at work for a few weeks before resuming my own vacation, however, so I've dug out a few of kits I've had lying around in various dark places and am finally getting around to doing something with them.



First project to reach the Finished stage is the rest of my old metal Nurgle Daemons. They've all been undercoated with Army Painter's bone coloured spray primer and had various details airbrushed various other base colours. After this, normal painting techniques were employed to further pick out details before the models received a coat from my not-yet-dry jar of polyurethane wood stain.


As I look at the pictures I've taken now, I see a few details that I should go back and do properly. They'll probably be seeing a bit of table time in the next few matches. If there's anyone around to play with, that is. In the mean time, I've got a handful of terrain pieces where I'm just waiting for some glue to dry...


JørnN

10 July 2013

Word Bearers Forge Fiend - Jørn's (very belated) May Hobby Challenge (Architecture of Aggression XXXV)

3 kommentarer
I can't believe I've managed to neglect writing this for almost a month now... Bad, baaad hobbyist!

Anyway...



Of the new kits that came out with the6th ed. Codex: Chaos Space Marines, the Forge Fiend kit was easily my favourite. Here, the meld of daemonic beast and engine of destruction works. The design of the model is far better aligned with the design philosophy going from the Defiler through the Soul Grinder than the Hell Drake is. Too bad the latter is the better of the two new models, gameplay wise...



The armoured parts have received the usual two layers of drybrushed metallics, followed by Red Ink. The fleshy parts was basecoated with Vallejo Air Light Brown, drybrushed with Bleached Bone, inked with Purple Ink and drybrushed with Bleached Bone again to tone the purple down a little.



Finally, I added black and Yellow Ochre oil washes (using W&N Artits' Oil Colour) to add rust-effects and weathering, pick out recessed details and define edges.

5 July 2013

40K Gaming table – Manufactorum City of Death – end report

4 kommentarer

It has been a while since I started my “new gaming board projects”. I started working on the first out of three gaming tables in December 2012, finishing the first two by February 2013. After a long break (focusing on Fantasy for a while) I have finally managed to finish the last in this series.

The main pieces where cut out during a workshop in December 2012. It was quite exiting to fit the pieces, the memories of old plans resurfacing. This gaming board is all about trying to create a large factory area that links with the other City of Death gaming table. The "link" was quite tricky since I intended to achieve two goals: Two 6 X 4 tables connecting so that I can divide the two gaming tables in to a possibility of 3 gaming areas (by using the right and left portion of each table to create a centre table), and one Apocalypse table 8 X 4. It is also possible to place the Desert gaming table next to them.

It was also all about trying to use all the “left over” from previous terrain projects (glue, capaline, sand, sprues and bits). 6 years ago I build a Manufactorum and incorporated a railroad track (large scale) to its base. After 6 years of storage, I finally managed to use the remaining track piece. Here is a progress picture showing the track path, roads and ramparts fixed in place. Pipes, support walls and a downed Aquila Lander glued in placed, and ready mixed filler used to smooth certain areas.

I cut cracks into the roads and glued sand and railroad tracks in place.

The board was painted with a mix of watered down PVA glue, sand and plaster/concrete mix. All plastic areas were sprayed with Chaos Black. The whole table was first painted with a dark brown colour mixed heavy with watered down PVA glue. The roads and ramparts where then painted with a mix of black and dark brown colours mixed with watered dawn PVA glue and the plaster/concrete mix (goup mix).

After the goup mix had dried fore a couple of days I painted the board. The rampage and roads was painted in the same style as the other city table, the outskirts of the city area in the same style as my desert table. Drifts of sand was used in my first city table and in the new one, trying to “link and blend” it all together.
The whole table was then covered in a dark brown wash with watered down PVA glue, the sand ereas then received a wash with desert sand colours mixed with watered down PVA glue. Grass was glued on and painted. The sides of the table was painted with watered down PVA glue and painted with “enamel” black paint. Finally the whole board was sprayed with Satin Warnish and the EZ Water Effect melted and poured into the canal.It was not intentional, but when drying the water effect gave som small bobles (foam) that looks OK since this is a industrial board with pipes etc entering the canal.
  Some pictures with the terrain pieces fitted.




PS! The tail fin on the Aquila Landers is currently under assembly and painting as it will bear the markings of my (my Ultramarines anyway) most hated enemy....

The gaming board project is now complete. Building these boards have been fun, but quite expensive and a lot of work has got into making them, so I hope it will be several years before I start on a new gaming board projects.... 
 
That said, I have decided to build one more building, one that can take the place of the “Rafenereum” since this building is “very large/tall” in "ordinary games".  But first, it is time to re re re re revisit my Ultramarines….;)

Cheers,
Ørnulv